Pages

Friday 20 August 2010

String, Felt, Thread

Ive been reading String, Felt, Thread: The Hierarchy of Art and Craft in American Art for the past two weeks or so and it is probably the best book on the history of textiles in contemporary art. It deals with the struggle artists (especially women artists) had for art -world legitimacy in the 60's and 70's; the artists involved in the art/craft divide (Faith Ringgold, Miriam Schapiro, Harmony Hammond & Judy Chicago); the artists who did get recognition and why (Eva Hesse & Robert Morris);  and all the things that have come out of this now. I have to say im only two thirds of the way through the book but I would already say it's a must read! I only wish this had been written sooner so that I could have read it sooner!

I think its also been influencing my ideas, especially those surrounding my bundles.

No comments:

Post a Comment